Saturday 28 October 2017

Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Still a good album



Well, this took me back - and it has aged pretty well, I think.  I was 15 when Ahead Rings Out came out and had a mate who was bonkers about Blodwyn Pig.  (The only reason I remember the French for pig is that he once wrote a piece for French homework about his favourite group, Blodwyn Cochon.)  I heard this a *lot* as a result and liked some of it very much, while I wasn't so keen other parts.  Nearly 50 years on, that's still the case.

I agree with other reviewers that this is a very good album of blues/jazz. For me the strongest tracks are the straight-up blues like Dear Jill and The Change Song (both superb) and a lot of the funkier fusion tracks are also good.  I still struggle with the more modern-jazz parts (I've never been able to cope with The Modern Alchemist, for example) but that's just me.  There is quality music-making throughout and that is what gives this album such durability.

The remastering is excellent.  Personally, I can take or leave the bonus material because I like to hear an album as the set list was originally conceived, but I know plenty of people will enjoy it and overall this is still a very recommendable, enjoyable album.

No comments:

Post a Comment