Wednesday 27 July 2016

Erin Rae and The Meanwhiles - Soon Enough


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good, interesting album



This was a wild punt in the dark for me after hearing a couple of samples – and it turns out to be rather a good album.  Erin Rae has a good voice, she writes a very decent song and it's a nicely made album.

It's not easy to categorize this music.  Americana is such a broad term that it doesn’t help much, but Erin Rae's music is slightly folky, slightly rocky in places, slightly quirky in others and is just a good, interesting and enjoyable listen.  Her vocal style reminds me somewhat of Alela Diane (which is a very good thing!) and although her songs aren't of Alela Diane's standard (yet, anyway), they're well crafted and interesting.  The band are excellent with restrained arrangements and unobtrusive but well-judged production, and I think this stands out a little from all the good Americana around at the moment.

This isn't an album to stand you on your ear on first hearing, but it's well worth listening to a time or two and allowing it to grow because there is quality here.  I'm glad I discovered this and I will be looking out for more from Erin Rae and The Meanwhiles.  I think they have a lot to offer and I'd recommend this to anyone who likes a thoughtful, musically and lyrically literate song.

No comments:

Post a Comment