Wednesday 13 July 2016

Gregory Alan Isakov - The Weatherman


Rating: 3/5

Review:
A bit ordinary

I'm afraid this won't be a popular view, but I didn't think all that much of this album overall. Some individual tracks are quite pleasant in themselves, but as a whole album I really didn't think it added up to much.

I tried this because I heard some of the opener, Amsterdam, and thought it worth a try. The song has a mournful quality with Isakov's weary, slightly creaky vocals giving it quite a haunting atmosphere. The backing and instrumental work is OK but nothing that special...and that's what I thought throughout the album really. Second Chances is a nice enough song, too, but is pretty similar to Amasterdam in may ways - the strummed guitar, similar production and vocals an so on - and there's precious little real variety through the whole album. Looking below the surface, too, the lyrics don't add up to a lot for me, and in places - The Universe, for example - I found them almost painfully juvenile.

I'm sorry to be so critical. This album would be OK as background for late night atmosphere when you weren't listening to

No comments:

Post a Comment