Tuesday 5 April 2016

Rough Guide to Americana (2nd Edition)


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent compilation



I think this is an excellent compilation.  I say that not because I love every track – I don't – but because it contains some truly excellent music and gives a wide and interesting selection of some recent Americana. 

I suspect that most people will be like me with this disc; there will be some tracks and artists you know and love and some which are new to you.  I have known and loved the work of Patty Griffin and Mary Gauthier for years and have both the albums from which their excellent contributions come.  I also knew a little of some of the others, but I'm very glad to have been introduced to some of the artists here like Noah Gunderson and Robert Earl Keen (what a great version of Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning !).   You may like others more, and even dislike some of the album as I do – and that's fine because it's what this album is for.

In short, this is a really good sampler of some contemporary Americana, which I can warmly recommend to anyone who wants to know more about what's been going on recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment