Wednesday 3 February 2016

Wolf Larsen - Quiet At The Kitchen Door


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A lovely album



I think this is a very fine album.  It was recommended by a friend and I approached I without real expectation, but it turns out to be thoughtful, intelligent and very beautiful.

Wolf Larson writes quiet, generally rather mournful or contemplative songs with very good, intelligent lyrics which are evocative and thoughtful.  She sets them to equally evocative tunes, she sings with a lovely, slightly aetherial alto voice - often multi-tracked – and sets the music with resonant acoustic guitar and excellently judged strings which combine to give a quite wonderful effect.  If I Be Wrong is simply spellbinding throughout its 7 minute length, for example, and others are just as good including the lovely, wistful title track.  It's great stuff which can just wash over you in a wave of lovely, lovely sound but which really repays careful listening, too.

We are blessed with a lot of very fine female singer-songwriters at the moment, and I think this album belongs with the best.  I can recommend it very warmly – it's a hidden gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment