Monday 1 February 2016

Aoife O'Donovan - In The Magic Hour


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good album



I have always liked Aoife O'Donvan's work, but I felt that her first solo album, Fossils, had just a bit too much smooth corporate gloss over it to really speak to me.  Here, she speaks from the heart, her songwriting and performing is natural and unadulterated and she has a superb band.  It makes for a very good album, I think.

This album is a sort of elegy for her Irish grandfather who died aged 93 as O'Donovan was conceiving the album, and is also an exploration of her Irish roots and ties.  It has a thoughtful, elegiac atmosphere and much of it is very lovely.  There is often quite a striking contrast between O'Donovan's slightly breathy, aetherial delivery and the emotional punch in her music and lyrics, and that is very effective here – I find the whole thing both beautiful and affecting.

Partly this is because of the wonderful collaborators she has assembled here.  Both the brilliant Chris Thile and the entirely wonderful Sarah Jarosz are in the band, and the rest of the musicians are just as good.  It's virtuosic, musically intelligent stuff and this time the production is pitch-perfect, I think, so the whole thing sounds as though every note means something.

In The Magic Hour has both beauty and depth to it.  I like it a lot and I can warmly recommend this album.

(I can also strongly recommend Sarah Jarosz's album Build Me Up From Bones, which is a firm favourite of mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment