Saturday 3 October 2015

Lucy Wainwright Roche - There's A Last Time For Everything


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent album

I think this is a terrific album. I hadn't heard Lucy Wainwright Roche's work before and took a punt on this for the not-very-good reason that I've been a fan of her father Loudon for over 40 years. It turns out to be an excellent disc.

Lucy Wainwright Roche writes lovely, tuneful songs. They are generally of love, loss and yearning and have a very haunting quality, with fresh, thoughtful lyrics. She has a slightly spare guitar style and a very attractive voice which are set off by some excellent production and arrangements. For example, in the brilliant Call Your Girlfriend the production is often minimal with just her very haunting guitar and some beautiful, sparingly-used harmony and just a single, quiet, deep drum in places. I find the impact stunning, and it's similarly well-judged throughout the album.

I was genuinely surprised at how good this album is, and I warmly recommend it to anyone who likes intelligent, well-written songs, well sung and performed. I think it's a real little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment