Friday 23 October 2015

Jeffrey Foucault - Salt As Wolves


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A fine album



This is a really good album.  I've only heard bits and pieces of Jeffrey Foucault until now and thought them OK but nothing special; I took a punt on this album for the not-very-good reason that I love his wife's work (the excellent Kris Delmhorst.)  I'm very glad I did.

This is an Americana-type album with its feet firmly planted in the blues.  It's an album of solidly composed and very well performed songs with Jeffrey Foucault's haunting, world-weary voice putting them over excellently.  The bad is solid and tight and the production is excellent, making every song shine with real meaning and sometimes genuine passion. Foucault is a Northern man but there are echoes here of Tony Joe White and JJ Cale in the sometimes swampy beat and subtle lead guitar with a lovely, fluid touch.

There is an awful lot of pretty good Americana around at the moment, but I think this stands out from the crowd by quite a long way.  I'm surprised by how much I like it and I've been playing it repeatedly for a few days now – always a good sign.  My advice is to try a couple of samples.  If you like the sound of them, don't hesitate; it's a quality album of good songs, well sung and I can recommend this very warmly.

I would also strongly recommend Kris Delmhorst's work.  Strange Conversation is outstanding, I think, and the more recent Blood Test is also very good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment