Wednesday 14 October 2015

Loudon Wainwright III - Album I


Rating: 5/5

Review: 
Still a very good album

This, Loudon Wainwright's first album, remains fresh over 40 years on. There are some enduring songs here like Schooldays and Glad To See You've Got Religion and plenty of the wry, witty, incisive and sometimes self-excoriating lyrics which have made Loudon Wainwright one of the best singer-songwriters of my generation.

I admit that I have a special affection for this album and for Album II because I spent more pocket money than I could afford on the album in 1970, went to see him when he toured the UK for the first time a short while later and still have my signed vinyl copies from that time. Even allowing for that, they are both very good albums still and I would recommend them not only to those who like LWIII but to anyone who appreciates a good song, well sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment