Tuesday 24 September 2019

Robbie Robertson - Sinematic


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Patchy but some very good stuff

This is a bit of a mixed bag of an album. I have liked and sometimes loved Robbie Robertson’s solo work and still play his self-titled 1987 album with great pleasure. Some of this is up to that standard and some isn’t.

The production is very good, and quite reminiscent of that 1987 album in that Robertson’s voice sounds very similar here. The sound is lush and full much of the time, which works very well for most tracks. The material itself is very variable, I think; for example, Walk In Beauty Way is an excellent, very beautiful track, while Shanghai Blues seems like characterless filler to me.

It’s an expensive package, which will rightly put a lot of people off – there’s no need for it and it’s annoying. Musically, I think it’s worth having; in spite of its weaknesses there is some very good stuff here and especially for Robbie Robertson fans like me I can recommend it with some reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment