Thursday 1 August 2019

V.A. - Hallelujah; The Songs Of Leonard Cohen


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Some very good stuff here

There is a good deal of truth in the old saying that no-one can sing a Leonard Cohen song the way Leonard Cohen couldn’t, but there are some very good covers here, along with some not-so-good ones.

Really, how you respond to these recordings is a matter of individual taste; another reviewer singles out Barb Jungr’s Everybody Knows for special praise, whereas I really don’t like it. I suspect that’s the way it will be for most of this album – people will just disagree about what they like, if anything. For me, it was better than I expected: I have known and loved Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah for years (while my sister hated it), I was very pleasantly surprised by Rufus Wainwright and Dion’s contributions and liked a lot of the others, but – again surprisingly – hated the great Nina Simone’s version of Suzanne. And so it goes.

Taste here is likely to be so individual that my recommendation may not be much use, but for what it’s worth I think this is an album I like a lot overall and which is well worth having.

No comments:

Post a Comment