Monday 26 August 2019

Karen Dalton - It's So Hard to Tell Who's Going to Love You the Best


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A true hidden gem

I spend quite a lot of time poking about in obscure corners of late 60s/early 70s music. A lot of the stuff I hear deserves to be obscure, to be honest, but occasionally I come across a gem like this which makes the search worthwhile.

This is an album largely of covers, sung superbly and excellently accompanied. Dalton’s voice has much of the cracked, slightly fragile-sounding beauty of Billie Holiday, and she can sing with the same intensity. Really – she can, and I know what a big statement that is. I find this spellbinding to listen to, with stripped back, excellently played accompaniment which is very well produced to give a great, almost torch-singer sound.

This is one of those rare albums which genuinely deserves the tag “hidden gem.” I’m delighted to have discovered it and can recommend it very warmly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment