Sunday 30 December 2018

Richard Harris - A Tramp Shining


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Pretty dull

Like a lot of people, I tried this album because MacArthur Park is a fantastic track and I thought I’d see what the rest was like. The answer is that it’s not very good.

A Tramp Shining is an album of Jimmy Webb songs. Webb certainly wrote some genuine classics (MacArthur Park among them) but he also wrote a colossal amount of pretty generic, forgettable stuff and that’s what makes up the bulk of this album. Richard Harris was a singer of real character and he does a decent job, but the material combined with some pretty schmaltzy 1960s production really doesn’t make a good listen for me.

Other reviewers plainly like this album but my personal advice is to buy MacArthur Park and don’t bother with the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment