Saturday 29 December 2018

Kate Wolf - Back Roads


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Well worth hearing

This album was my introduction to Kate Wolf. It’s not bad; it does get a bit samey after a while, but she is worth persevering with.

Kate Wolf wrote and sang nice, quite tuneful songs, often with a strong story. They are on the border between folk and country; she sings very well and the production is good and the overall sound is very pleasing. I do find, though, that after a while I feel I could do with a bit of variety and the whole album gets a bit much. I’m glad I found her, though, because this was good enough to persuade me to try An Evening In Austin, her live album which is very good indeed and shows rather better than this what a fine singer and songwriter she was.

So, overall this is decent but not great, but I would strongly recommend An Evening In Austin. You may well want to come back to Back Roads after hearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment