Tuesday 23 October 2018

Mason Williams - The Mason Williams Phonographic Record


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Pretty terrible

Well, like most other people, I loved Classical Gas when it originally appeared so I tried this album to see what Mason Williams’s other work was like. Frankly, it’s pretty terrible.

The album is a mish-mash of stuff, with lots of “quirky” little bits on it which feel like a bit of a desperate attempt to pad the thing out to an acceptable length, and some full length songs which are, at best, undistinguished. Williams had a reasonable voice, but the material is pretty dreadful. When I was about 18 I am ashamed to say that I wrote a couple of songs for a girlfriend, which were absolutely terrible and which I have mercifully all but forgotten now. This album sounds a bit like those songs given a more lush production – weak melodies, slightly mystical-sounding but almost meaningless lyrics...you get the idea.

I’m sorry to be so critical, but I really don’t think much of this album. My advice is to get the single of Classical Gas and avoid the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment