Sunday 14 October 2018

Annie Oakley - Words We Mean


Rating: 3/5

Review:
OK but nothing special

Words We Mean is OK, but I’m afraid I don’t think it’s anything very special. There have been some terrific albums by female trios recently, most notably Applewood Road and I’m With Her, but this isn’t really in the same league.

The songs are pleasant enough, but the same musical tropes appear an awful lot, to the point when I began to think “modulation to the relative minor coming up...” and it invariably did. Similarly, the lyrics are perfectly OK but not that inspiring, with an awful lot of repetition and by the time I got to four identical repetitions of “Oh-oh-oh-oh” at toward the end of the title track it began to get a bit much.

In fairness, the singing and harmonies are good and the relatively straightforward instrumental work is fine as far as it goes, but it’s all pretty similar throughout and a bit more variety would have helped a lot. There’s nothing wrong with the album and it has its moments, but I don’t think it adds up to all that much in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment