Sunday 17 June 2018

Claire Hamill - October


Rating: 4/5

Review: 
A very decent album


I tried October out of curiosity because the name Claire Hamill was very familiar from my teenage years, but I couldn't actually remember having hear any of her music.  It turns out to be a very decent album.

Claire Hamill was plainly a good singer and songwriter because there is a good deal more character and originality here than in a lot of other half-forgotten singer/songwriter stuff from that period.  There are hints of Joni Mitchell's unusual chord sequences, of Judee Sill's melodic style and harmonies and occasionally of the slight huskiness of Melanie Safka's voice.  Hamill isn't "like" any of them, though, and although there's nothing here which screams Classic at me, it's good, intelligent material both musically and lyrically.  For example, Speedbreaker, although it ends up rambling a bit, is an arresting song, I think, which speaks of a thoughtful musicality and expressive lyrical ability – and it's very well sung.

So, October isn't a long-lost classic album, but it's a good one which has lasted well over the 45 years since its release.  I'm glad I discovered it and I may well look into more of Claire Hamill's work.  I'd say it was well worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment