Thursday 5 April 2018

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Sometimes Just The Sky


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Good, not great


I like this album but it's not a major addition to Mary Chapin Carpenter's catalogue. 

She has re-recorded some fine songs and they sound very good; the arrangements are generally quiet and thoughtful and Mary's voice has an even deeper, mellower quality these days which I like a lot.  There is absolutely nothing not to like here…but if you already have the originals you may legitimately wonder whether this is worth it.  Personally, I think it is - but only just, and I can't see this getting as much play as many of her other albums.

Mary Chapin Carpenter has undoubtedly still got it; The Things That We Are Made Of was a very fine album in my view, and she was terrific when I saw her in concert last year.  This feels like a bit of a holding exercise, but I hope we can look forward to more top-quality original music from her before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment