Thursday 8 March 2018

Morganmasondowns - Morganmasondowns


Rating: 2/5

Review:
A disappointment



I was very interested to hear this rather elusive "cult classic" which was never properly issued when it was recorded in 1970.  Sadly, I can see why.

There is lots of harmony and lovey-peacey lyrics here, but I'm afraid it's just a bit too wrapped up in its own sense of supriority to work.  The harmonies are often unconventional – which would be fine if they had some coherence, but they don't really.  There's just a sense of trying to be different for the sake of it, which can't carry a whole album.  It's combined with lyrics like the spoken:
"I look around and all I see
Is superficial
Oh, nobody knows, nobody cares and
Nobody ever wants to"
which is just annoyingly like a sulky fourteen-year-old, or
"For love is now and today is all we have…"
which as a seduction line isn't exactly in the Andrew Marvell class and struck me as simply silly.

To be fair, the album does have its nice moments, but overall it struck me as being very pleased with itself but rather empty of ideas or inspiration.  A disappointment, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment