Thursday 8 February 2018

Julie Fowlis - alterum


Rating: 5/5

Review
Excellent



I agree with the rave reviews that alterum has attracted – it's excellent.  I saw Julie Fowlis as part of the Transatlantic Sessions at the Royal Festival Hall a few days ago and she was brilliant.   The album is just as good.

Fowlis has a wonderful, pure, expressive voice and also has the technique and depth of feeling to create something really special with it.  She sings largely in Scots Gaelic, although the fabulous Camarinas is partly in the Galician language and there are two songs in English, including an absolutely wonderful version of Go Your Way My Love. 

I can't praise this album highly enough.  The whole thing is a pleasure: beautiful singing, fine instrumental backing and excellent, restrained and atmospheric production.  It's a gem and a real find for me.  Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment