Tuesday 20 February 2018

Crispian St Peters - The Pied Piper


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A surprisingly good collection



I was surprised by how good this compilation is.

Like most others who were there at the time, all I remember of Crispian St Peters is You Were On My Mind (which I loved) and The Pied Piper (which I didn't).  In fact, he recorded a lot more very decent stuff.  It's pretty standard 60s-sounding pop in a way, but the man had a good voice and the material isn't bad at all.  The overall sound really brings back an era for me and the songs – often about Losing The One He Loves – are quite affecting at times.  Evidence, perhaps, of the truth of Noel Coward's saying, "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is."

This isn't a collection of timeless classics, but it's much better than you might expect.  If you're interested in 60s and early 70s pop, I can recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment