Monday 15 January 2018

JJ Cale - Naturally


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Brilliant



Back in the 70s sometime, a friend of mine waved a copy of Naturally at me and said "You'll like this."  I hated the cover (I still do) and expected to hate the album, but he put on Side 2; a few bars into Crazy Mama I was hooked, during After Midnight I realised that I was in love and after River Runs Deep I was a lifetime fan.  Quite simply, the man is a brilliant songwriter, a fine singer and beneath the laid-back sound is a truly great guitarist with a lovely, lovely touch.

Naturally remains a classic album for me.  Great songs, superb performances and an atmosphere of Southern cool which few can match.  No wonder people like Eric Clapton regard him as a major influence.  This is sheer class and a hugely enjoyable listen.  Very, very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment