Friday 17 November 2017

Sharon van Etten - (It Was) Because I was In Love


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent album



This is excellent.  I came rather late to Sharon van Etten's work with Are We There and then the wonderful I Don't Want To Let You Down EP, but I hadn't heard her debut album before this remastered reissue.  I am very glad to have heard it now.

Sharon van Etten is an excellent songwriter; she manages to be quirky, often eschewing ordinary structures, while remaining melodic and very listenable.  Her lyrics are often quite dark, often remarkably honest and always fascinating and the combination produces something special, I think.  She is also a very fine performer, with an almost agonised delivery sometimes, excellently thought-out harmonies and a way of often sliding around and onto a note which brings real depth of feeling to her vocals.  The remastering seems very good to me, giving each song depth and genuine atmosphere, and it's a very fine album as a result.

In short, this is a really good album by a really good singer-songwriter.  Warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment