Saturday 23 September 2017

Stephen Stills & Judy Collins - Everybody Knows


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Unexciting stuff



I'm afraid I don't think all that much of this album.  It's performed by two towering greats of music, but the result really isn't that great; it's pleasant enough but pretty forgettable and with none of the stardust which covered the work of both Collins and Stills in their glory days.

The album actually gets off to a pretty decent start, with a version of The Traveling Wilburys Handle With Care which has enough originality in it to make it a worthwhile cover version.  However, this is a complete album of covers, and I find the rest of it pretty bland and unimaginative.  Girl From The North Country?  Again?  Why?  Everybody Knows is just more evidence for the old saw that no-one can sing a Leonard Cohen song the way Leonard Cohen can't…and so on.

I don’t want to be too harsh, because there are some decent harmonies in places and the band do a good job with some slightly unimaginative arrangements, but overall I can't get very excited about this.  It's not going to get many airings here, and I'll be sticking to my Collins and Stills albums from that magical period in the late 60s and early 70s which produced so much great stuff from both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment