Saturday 16 September 2017

Paul Brady - Unfinished Business


Rating: 5/5

An excellent album



I think this is an excellent album.  To my shame, I hadn't come across Paul Brady until recently when Mark Barry's fine book of Overlooked Albums guided me to Brady's 1978 album Welcome Here Kind Stranger.   I liked it enough to try this new release and I'm very glad I did because it's a very enjoyable bit of class.

Unfinished Business is a very enjoyable, varied collection of songs; it includes a couple of traditional ballads in excellent arrangements and a great collection of co-written material which goes from the touching to the witty (I *love* I Love You But You Love Him, for example), to the toe-tapping and everything in between.  Musically it's great, with direct melodies and great arrangements and production which make it accessible without ever being facile.  Brady himself is a terrific musician and a very fine singer, and the overall effect is just great.

It's always a real pleasure to come across an unexpected gem and that's what this has been for me.  There's a lot of very good folky/country-ish music being made at the moment and this is among the best of it, I think.  My advice is to listen to a few samples and if you like what you hear, don't hesitate.  This is a fine musician in great form and very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment