Sunday 7 August 2016

Dulcimer - And I Turned As I had Turned As A Boy


Rating: 3/5

Review:
A decent period piece



I think the cover, with it's fey Arthur Rackham-esque section and rather silly mystic bits, tells you much of what you need to know about this album.  It's in that folky/slightly rocky/acidy genre which was so big in the late 60s and early 70s in Britain.  I loved all that at the time and I'm glad this is available again, but it's really not one for repeated playing now I'm more of a grown-up.

There's some very decent playing and nice singing, with some genuinely beautiful harmonies in places (like Mormon's Casket), but the material isn't much to get excited about.  It's pleasant enough as background but most of it doesn't stand up to close attention.  It's pretty bland melodically, and some of the lyrics are frankly dire.  Try this from Pilgrim From The City:
"I felt in my pockets
She'd cleaned them out;
The Pilgrim's words returned
I let out a shout,
"Has anyone seen a holy man
Have you seen him about?"

Enough said.  This is worth a listen, I think, but although I'd have thought it OK in my student room late at night after a non-proprietary cigarette or two, it doesn't really add up to much now.

No comments:

Post a Comment