Thursday 31 March 2016

Judee Sill - Live In London (BBC recordings 1972-73)


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A very good live collection



This is a very good collection of recordings at the BBC by Judee Sill.  These recordings (including a typically spiky interview with the great Bob Harris) show her at her best, playing and singing with her distinctive voice and unusual style, and it's a fine collection

I have to say that I have never quite subscribed to the "Lost Genius" school of thought about Judee Sill.  I still remember hearing her for the first time, on the BBC in 1972; she played Jesus Was A Crossmaker (not the recording here) and I went straight out and bought the album – which I still own.  Sadly, I found the rest of the album a bit disappointing (which was a real blow at a time when I couldn't afford to buy many albums) and although I like her music, I don't think it's all brilliant.  At her best, she was very good, though, and these are generally very good, distinctive songs and performances which are all very well recorded (unlike quite a lot of vintage live material being released), and any Judee Sill fan will be very well rewarded by this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment