Wednesday 16 May 2018

Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Still a superb album


This remains a superb album.  My original vinyl copy was a treasured possession in the 60s (I still have it) and half a century later I can still see why.

Paul Simon really began to show his genius and originality as a songwriter on this album.  After the excellent Sounds Of Silence earlier in 1966, this moves into new territory both lyrically and musically, and the production is exceptional.  There are some deservedly very famous songs here, including Scarborough Fair and the 59th Street Bridge Song (and Homeward Bound on the CD release which was never on the UK vinyl album and for me sounds incongruous here).  However, the delicate Cloudy or the fabulous For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her, to which I used to break my teenage heart are equally good, as are the witty A Simple Desultory Philippic, the thoughtful The Dangling Conversation and others.  It's class from start to finish.

This may not be Simon & Garfunkel's best-known album, but it's a piece of quiet excellence which for me really marks the coming of age of Paul Simon as one of the greatest songwriters of our age.  Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment