Saturday 16 December 2017

Magna Carta - Seasons


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Still good in parts



This remains a pretty decent album in places, but for me it's more of a pleasant nostalgia trip than something which still has real musical merit.  I never owned a copy of Seasons, but heard it a lot as someone would often play it when I met up with friends when I was 17 or 18.  It may give you an idea of the sound of Magna Carta that I did (and still do) own a copy of Tir Na Nog's eponymous album and I realise I've muddled tracks from the two albums up in my mind in the near half-century since then.

Track 1, Prologue lasts about 20 minutes, took up the whole of Side One of the LP and has that acoustic guitar and pleasantly harmonized folky sound which I loved, along with spoken passages about minstrels, a pilgrim drawing his mantle tight about him and so on which really appealed to me at that age.  Frankly, it sounds a bit juvenile to me now but it still has a period charm which I rather like.  It was always a very one-sided album for me and Side Two's collection of shorter songs still sounds pretty thin, I'm afraid.

I have rounded 3.5 stars up to a rather generous 4, because  if you have an interest in the folky sound of the late 60s/early 70s, this is probably worth getting for Prologue and – who knows? – you may like the rest more than I do.  Cautiously recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment