Wednesday 15 March 2017

Jeremy Spencer - Homebrewed Blues


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Pleasant but uninspiring



I have been a fan of Jeremy Spencer's work for getting on for 50 years now.  He and Peter Green created some classic tracks with Fleetwood Mac and Spencer is a very fine blues guitarist.  Sadly, I don't think Homebrewed Blues really reflects that.

These are all instrumentals featuring varying blues styles including the bottleneck with which he thrilled me all those years ago.  It is, of course, very well played and perfectly listenable, but there is no fire in it and it doesn't have any of that edge which blues needs to really speak to me.  It's a sort of Easy Listening Blues which is pleasant and inoffensive, but doesn't really add up to much.

I'm sorry to be critical of a musician I have admired for most of my life.  There's nothing actively wrong with the album but it's pretty forgettable, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment