Tuesday 13 September 2016

John Renbourn & Wizz Jones - Joint Control


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Great stuff



Listening to John Renbourn play the guitar has been one of the great pleasures of my life for half a century or so now.  This, his final recording is well up to the standard we'd expect from the man. 

Recorded live with his great friend and musical partner Wizz Jones, this is a record of two outstanding guitarists and very, very fine musicians having a great time playing together and generating a terrific set as a result.  The standard of guitar work is, of course, phenomenal from both men (including the odd tiny fluff you always get in live performance) and their obvious enjoyment of what they're doing is infectious – several tracks end with a delighted laugh from Jones, and quite right, too.

On the inner gatefold of Sweet Child in 1968, Renbourn said "I started off trying to play like Big Bill Broonzy, and I'm still trying."  In my case, that could read "I started off trying to play like John Renbourn, and I'm still trying."  I'm nowhere near playing like John and never will be, of course, but he's still a huge hero of mine, and this just confirms his stature.  All Renbourn fans will really need to know is that this is a well recorded disc and that John plays as we all know he can.  Warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment