Thursday 10 December 2015

Melanie - Stoneground Words


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Still a good album



I risked this out of nostalgia because I remembered the album fondly from its first release.  I've discovered that some albums I remember fondly from 40 years ago I should just have been left in my memory where they still sounded good, but this has held up very well, I think.

Melanie's output was variable and, let's face it, some of it was pretty vacuous pseudo-profound lyrics set to forgettable music, but this album isn't like that on the whole. There are good, memorable songs here; the lyrics are definitely of their time and sound dated now, but they're pretty decent of their type and musically it's still surprisingly good.  It's tuneful, harmonically quite interesting and well sung in that distinctive, husky Melanie voice which rather bewitched me as an adolescent.

I'm glad I went back to this album.  It's far more than just a period-piece and I've played it a good deal with genuine pleasure.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment